You can donate the used vehicle you no longer need and, at the same time, help care for the hungry and homeless of Memphis.
Memphis Union Mission can accept the following as donations:
- Minivans & Vans
- Recreational Vehicles
- Tractors and small farm equipment
Your donation qualifies as a tax-deductible gift. Some donated vehicles may be used for general Mission purposes, while others are sold to raise money for Mission programs.
Donating Your Vehicle
If you're interested in donating your vehicle, first answer these three questions:
- Is your vehicle located in the Memphis metro area?
- Is the vehicle operable? (Sorry, non-running vehicles can't be accepted.)
- Do you have the title in your possession?
If your answer to each of these questions is "yes," please call us at (901) 526-8403.
Please be ready to provide your vehicle's year, make, model or vehicle identification number (VIN) and current mileage, a signed vehicle title together with any other pertinent documentation. You will need to describe the condition of the vehicle and disclose any structural damage.
To learn more about how automobile donations affect your tax status please visit the IRS web site and search for "car donation". The IRS has several articles and tips that will answer questions about your specific situation. The sale of your vehicle is tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. Since each donor's tax situation is different, we recommend that you consult your tax professional.
You can deduct the value of your vehicle only if you itemize deductions when filing your taxes. Under the current IRS law, you may only deduct the ACTUAL sale price of your vehicle or $499, whichever is greater. Memphis Union Mission will provide you with a receipt indicating the sale price and date.
To estimate the fair market value of your vehicle, see the Kelley Blue Book.
For more information, please visit the IRS Charities Website and refer to the documents listed below.
IRS Forms & Publications
- IRS Publication 4303: A Donor's Guide to Car Donations
- IRS Publication 526: Charitable Contributions
- IRS Publication 561: Determining the Value of Donated Property
- IRS Form 8283: Non Cash Charitable Contributions (Instructions)
- IRS Form 8283: Non Cash Charitable Contributions
- IRS Publication 4302: A Charity's Guide to Car Donations
- IRS Publication 1098-C: Instructions for Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes